Common Thanksgiving Foods That May Be Dangerous for your Dog

puppy dogDo you have a pup that will be a curious companion while you are celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday at home this year?? Here are some traditional Thanksgiving foods you should know about that can cause your overly involved K-9 friend some unwanted consequences and even a large unexpected financial toll. 
Turkey skin - The skin from a turkey contains a large amount of fat. High fat foods are hard to digest in your dog's stomach and can ultimately lead to pancreatitis. Symptoms may include vomiting, lethargy and abdominal pain.
Onions and Garlic - Onion and garlic contain sulfides which can be toxic to dogs and it can often lead to anemia. Cooking onions and garlic does NOT decrease their level of toxicity.
Nuts (Macadamia and Walnut) - Macadamia and Walnuts are extremely dangerous for dogs and can lead to what is called "macadamia nut toxicosis". This can lead to vomiting, tremors, fever, weakness and elevated heart rate. Symptoms can pass but it can also lead to deadly shock.
Cooked Bones - Contrary to popular belief, cooked bones are NOT safe for dogs. They often splinter within the dog's digestive tract which ultimately can lead to a pricey emergency vet visit. Disposing of bones properly will keep any temptation to eat them low.
Nutmeg and Sage - Sage contains essential oils that can often cause an upset stomach. Nutmeg is often used in sweet potatoes and pumpkin. These are usually good for your dog's diet in small quantities. However, once nutmeg is added you should keep it away from your dog. Nutmeg can cause seizures and central nervous system issues when digested and sadly it may lead to death.
Alcohol - Some dogs may like the taste of beer but that does not mean that it is a good idea to give it to them. Alcohol is toxic and in certain cases can cause death. Alcohol that has a larger amount of hops as its ingredient should specifically be avoided.
Dough - Uncooked dough may rise inside of a dog's stomach which can cause pain and bloating. These doughs and batters can often contain uncooked eggs which may lead to Salmonella.
Chocolate - Chocolate is a commonly known “no-no” because it contains theobromine. Humans metabolize it quickly; dogs cannot process it the same rate. This means it builds up in their system which will lead to toxic levels. Since the size of your dog is a factor it will vary how much chocolate a dog can safely digest that will result only mild symptoms, like diarrhea and vomiting. Ingested in large amounts theobromine can cause irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or possibly a heart attack. A sign that your dog may have ingested chocolate could be extreme hyperactivity.
Having your furry friend at your feet through the holiday might be fun but it is best to keep them out of the kitchen. Be wary of any spills so that you can clean them up quickly so that your curious friend is not tempted. Warn your guests ahead of time of the rules as it pertains to your dog so that there is no accidental ingestion of any of these forbidden items. If you are afraid that your dog might have eaten something that may be poisonous you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 or seek the services of your local vet or emergency vet services.